Wednesday 15 August 2007

Is it harder or easier than what it seems?

THE MAN OF THE WEEK IS HERBERT GEORGE WELLS.
(I think I can see why he uses abbreviations for his name)

"No passion in the world is equal to the passion to alter someone else's draft."

"There comes a moment in the day, when you have written your pages in the morning, attended to your correspondence in the afternoon and having nothing further to do. Then comes the hour when you are bored; that's the time for sex."

"If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't esxpecting it."

The middle quote? It just... WHAT? That's my only reaction. I don't know what to say to it. It's just WEIRD.

He was my favourite author as a kid. Besides Doctor Who, some of the earlier movies I remember was the '77 version of Island of Dr Moreau and '78 version of Time Machine (I often times confuse Time Machine with my favourite episodes of DW - Keeper of Traken, Logopolis and Castrovalva (The first scene that comes to mind when I heard Doctor Who was the picture of the Master killing a guy and slipping into his clock-shaped TARDIS, which was apart of Keeper of Traken.) I remember how AWESOME and cool Island of Dr Moreau was. I saw it in Maine. I think it would be my first B&W film.

- I originally put it as 78's version of Time Machine, however I was WRONG. I meant the 60's version, HAHAHA. (I want to see the BBC 40's TV version).

- I ALSO originally put it as the 77's version of Island of Doctor Moreau. Umm... I was was 50 YEARS off. Mine was B&W, 77's was colour. YEA. I watched old movies as a child, WHAT THE HELL. And YOU'RE wondering why I never know about some newer hip cool rad... groovy movie. Anything past the 70s is like... rare game. I watched Doctor Who and Monty Python's flying Circus, so that's 60s to '81 (never saw Davison) and '69 up to something. Red Dwarf was '88, so at least I had something from the 80s. Jurassic Park and The Mummy were my favourite new movies (they're classics in our family, GOD I LOVE THEM). I listened to '40s and classical (via grandmother). I DANCED to classical music (it was interpretive dance and VERY embarrassing, they were records, I should go find out what song it was that was my favourite ever, the records should be somewhere).

I didn't realise that he came into the '40s (of 1900s). I always though closer to Mary Shelley, >.>

"While there is a chance of the world getting through its troubles, I hold that a reasonable man has to behave as though he were sure of it. If at the end your cheerfulness in not justified, at any rate you will have been cheerful."

This is pretty much my default LAW of life. Either I have never seen this quote before and nonetheless adhered to it OR I did once and have forgotten. While I'm not exactly CHEERFUL, more so optimistic in my cynical and sarcastic way, at least I've always been sure everything would end up optimistically.

I love this man so much. I like his quotes a lot. I want to ask Everdell, Robinson, Kaylor or Woodworth if they got History of Ideas from him. He once said 'Human history in essence is the history of ideas.' and I THINK that might be how they got the title of their class. If not, DAMN. I really hope so though.

...

Kiwii and I were talking about time machines. She joked that hers was heading towards 16th century China (which 16th century, I don't know... there's many after all and even more so if you stray from the typical Gregorian calender). I told her that I'd rather head to England, March 1817. Why and when? Not entirely sure. As I'd figure, getting in that range itself would be pretty difficult. A lot of close steering and sharp edges. Let alone the whole 'where the hell IS it anyways?' problem aside. I mean 1817 in the Gregorian calender, I think. It's the March that sets it as a calender, purely 1817 is VERY tricky decide WHICH year and, overall, WHAT 1817 MEANS (time, day, year, month, decade, century, second, minute, placement, galaxy, degree, house number, station number, level number, number of unknown measures... all in the matter of... generalisational terms of course, this is just ENGLISH, American 1990-2007 English at that). Every so often, if you catch me off guard, I'll name a weird date. In this case I thought it was Wednesday March 1817. I thought of England. I figure something interesting is there. If not, it was me being random and I wasted some energy and the thought processes of me and my time machine.

If you're wondering, I do INDEED think this way. Which explains a lot, especially when I look at you quizzically, say something random and walk away (sometimes I JUST walk away).

No comments: